Friday, June 19, 2009

Knowing Ingrid Newkirk

When writing my upcoming book, Ham and Eggonomics, I naturally talk about the founder and President of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk.


In a draft of the book I quoted Ingrid, saying that she stated, "a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." A friend at the HSUS reviewed one of the chapters and corrected me on this quote, telling me that I had somewhat taken it out of context. With his help, I was able to get a copy of the original quote from PETA, and what she really stated was, "When it comes to feelings like hunger, pain, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy."

That completely changes the quote. Few would agree to the initial, incomplete quote, few would disagree with the actual quote.

Within the article I got to know Newkirk better. She believes that the world would be a better place without humans. The cruelty that I see animals suffer in the wild, she sees pets suffer. To know Ingrid Newkirk is to understand that the manner in which the universe operates, such as how humans behave, disturbs her. She cannot adjust herself to this world where humans have a profound influence. No wonder she seems so, so strange to all of us. No wonder her organization is more of a cult than a charitable organization.

Source: Specter, Michael. April 14, 2003. “The Extremist.” The New Yorker.